Discover various cooking methods and flavorful recipes with Mahatma® Rice to enjoy this versatile ingredient. From a comforting Chicken and Brown Rice Pilaf to a Pollo Guisado with Brown Rice, there are endless possibilities to explore. Learn tips for perfectly cooked, fluffy, and moist brown rice, as well as seasoning and flavoring techniques to enhance your dishes.
So let’s dive in and discover why this grain deserves a spot on your plate!
Basic Brown Rice Cooking Method
Cooking brown rice requires the right ratio of water to rice and the proper cooking time and heat level. Here’s a breakdown on how to cook brown rice:
Ratio of Water to Rice
For perfectly cooked brown rice, the general rule of thumb is to use a ratio of 2¼ cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. This ratio helps ensure that the rice is cooked evenly and absorbs the right amount of moisture. Adjust the ratio slightly depending on the desired texture, such as using a little less water for firmer rice or a little more water for softer rice.
Proper Washing and Soaking Techniques
Before cooking brown rice, it’s important to rinse it thoroughly under cold water. This helps remove any dust, dirt, or excess starch that may be present. Here’s how to properly wash and soak brown rice:
- Measure the desired amount of brown rice and place it in a fine-mesh strainer.
- Rinse the rice under cold running water, stirring it gently with your hand. Continue rinsing until the water runs clear.
- Transfer the rinsed rice to a bowl and cover it with enough water to completely submerge the grains.
- Soak the rice for at least 30 minutes, or up to several hours, for enhanced texture and digestibility.
- After soaking, drain the water and proceed with the cooking process.
By following these washing and soaking techniques, you can improve the overall taste and texture of your brown rice dishes.
Cooking Time and Heat Level
- The cooking time for brown rice is typically longer than white rice due to its higher fiber content. On average, it takes about 45-50 minutes to cook brown rice. However, this can vary depending on the specific type of brown rice you’re using, so be sure to check the packaging instructions for cooking times.
- To cook brown rice, bring the water and rice to a boil in a saucepan. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Allow the rice to simmer gently for the recommended cooking time, usually around 45-50 minutes. Avoid lifting the lid during cooking to prevent steam from escaping.
- After the recommended cooking time has elapsed, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it sit, still covered, for about 5-10 minutes. This resting period allows the rice to absorb any remaining moisture and become fluffy and tender. Once the resting time is over, fluff the cooked rice with a fork to separate the grains. Your perfectly cooked brown rice is now ready to be enjoyed and used in various delicious recipes.
Seasoning and Flavoring Techniques
Enhance the taste of your perfectly cooked brown rice with these seasoning and flavoring techniques:
- Add a pinch of salt to the cooking water for a subtle burst of flavor.
- Infuse the rice with aromatic herbs and spices like bay leaves, thyme, or garlic cloves while cooking for a fragrant result.
- Experiment with different cooking liquids, such as vegetable or chicken broth, instead of plain water for added depth of flavor.
- Stir in a drizzle of olive oil or a pat of butter before serving to enrich the taste and add a silky texture.
- Squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice over the cooked rice to brighten the flavors and create a refreshing twist.
By following these tips and exploring various seasoning techniques, you can elevate the taste and texture of your brown rice dishes, transforming them into flavorful culinary experiences.
Delicious Brown Rice Recipes
Brown Rice Pilaf
In January, the holiday season rolls on as the Three Kings make their way to your home. Mahatma® Rice suggests making this amazing Roasted Chicken with Brown Rice Pilaf for any family gathering. A sophisticated and delicious substitute for another turkey dinner, this dish features a gorgeously golden roasted chicken that is cooked to juicy perfection, served with Mahatma® Brown Rice, and topped with a delectable homemade pan gravy.
Transform your next meal into a delicious and hearty dish with this Brown Rice and Shiitake Mushroom Pilaf. Don’t let the simplicity of this rice pilaf, which is made with a few fresh ingredients, deceive you. The unique combination of ingredients in this dish creates a mouthwatering flavor that will entice you to try it again and again. Lightly fragrant green onions and garlic, freshly grated lemon zest, and nutty, toasted pine nuts all complement the flavor of sautéed shiitakes and asparagus.
Burritos and Tacos with Brown Rice
Feeling like having a taco Tuesday? We have the perfect recipe for your family to try: our Grilled Chicken Tacos with Brown Rice Salsa. Tacos are a great option to #playwithyourfood because you can add your own favorite toppings to the chicken and salsa to make them uniquely yours. Try our delicious Guacamole Dip with fresh mango to dip some of your favorite chips in.
Maybe some of your family members prefer burritos instead of tacos. No problem! Our Brown Rice & Black Bean Burrito should do the trick! Most of the components for these burritos are found in the pantry. While using canned veggies can save time, feel free to use fresh vegetables as well. Either way, to make the burrito filling even more tasty, sauté the vegetables along with the seasonings. As the filling can be prepared ahead of time, stored, and assembled when needed, creating burritos is a great idea for meal prep. When you can prepare these delicious but simple Mexican burritos, who needs fast food? #playwithyourfood and get creative with the ingredients.
Hot Cakes and Rice Cakes with Brown Rice
Looking for an appetizer for your next family gathering? These Brown Rice Cakes are the perfect solution. They are made with whole-grain Mahatma® Brown Rice and black beans, seasoned with savory onions, garlic, salt, and pepper, served alongside a creamy avocado, cilantro, lime, and corn salsa. The perfect bite-sized appetizer!
Looking for something on the sweet side? These Chocolate Hot Cakes with Brown Rice are a great way to switch things up at your breakfast table. Savor them on their own, with your favorite toppings like fresh sliced fruit, peanut butter, or maple syrup, or with our suggested toppers of whipped cream, cajeta, chocolate sauce, and strawberry jam. They will be adored by all members of the family, even the youngest ones!
Be sure to check out more inspiring recipe ideas on our website here